Topic: "Charting the course of action for Indian Language Processing"
Panelists: Sasi Kumar (C-DAC, Mumbai)
K. Narayan Murthy (Univerisity of Hyderabad)
Vaijayanthi Sarma (IIT Bombay)
Tanmoy Bhattacharya (University of Delhi)
Moderator: Pushpak Bhattacharyya (IIT Bombay)
Observer: R. M. K. Sinha (IIT Kanpur)
Suggested points of discussion:
1. Better interaction between the two worlds: Linguistics and Computation
- How much of foundation on linguistic theory should the CS people understand?
- How much should the linguist understand computation?
2. The crucial need of keeping the feet on ground, while holding the head in the sky
- Basic resources (Lexical)
- Basic tools (tagger, chunker etc.)
3. Involving the industry
4. Involving the government
5. Education and training
- Long term